Skip to Page Content  |  Text Only Governor | General Assembly | Courts | Elected Officials | State Agencies
  Photo: Featured Delaware Photo
  Phone Numbers   Mobile   Help   Size   Print   Email

Brain Injury and Coma Info
Financial Assistance for Persons with Brain Injury

Brain injury often involves long-term as well as short term treatment.   Financial assitance needs and eligibility for available programs vary depending on individual circumstances.  Below is a listing of programs and services which provide financial support. Please contact individual providers to determine whether or not you (or your family member) might be eligible.  You might want to get help from physicians, hospital social workers, and other professionals in exploring financial assistance options. 

  • PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE . If you have private health insurance, contact the provider to find out what services are covered under your policy. Enlist the support of health care providers in presenting information about medical needs to your insurance company.
  • SOCIAL SECURITY. Social Security provides a monthly income for eligible elderly and disabled individuals. Call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-SSA-1213, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. The lines are busiest early in the week and early in the month. If you have a touch tone phone, recorded information and services are available 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays.
  • SUPPLEMENTAL SECURITY INCOME (SSI). SSI supplements Social Security payments for individuals who have certain income and asset levels. SSI is administered by the Social Security Administration. Call 1-800-SSA-1213.
  • MEDICARE. Medicare is a federal health insurance program for those who receive Social Security benefits. Eligible individuals include those who are 65 and older, people of any age with permanent kidney failure and disabled people under age 65 who have received Social Security disability benefits for at least 24 months. Call 1-800-SSA-1213.
  • MEDICAID. Medicaid provides health insurance for eligible low income people who are elderly, blind, or disabled as well as for certain groups of children. Services are coordinated by state government through Delaware Health and Social Services. Call 1-800-372-2022 in Delaware.
  • VETERANS’ BENEFITS. Eligible veterans and their dependents may receive treatment at a V.A. Medical Center. Treatment for non-service connected conditions may be available, based on the veteran’s financial need. The WA also has a special brain injury program. Call 1-800-827-1000.
  • HILL-BURTON FUNDS. Hill-Burton is a program through which hospitals receive construction funds from the federal government. Hospitals that receive Hill-Burton funds are required by law to provide some services to people who cannot afford to pay for their hospitalization. For more information about hospitals covered by the Hill-Burton Act, call 1-800-638-0742.
  • PRESCRIPTION DRUGS. Prescription drug coverage is now available through Medicare Part D. Visit  the Medicare website for more information. In addition, there are several agencies that offer lower cost prescription drugs directly from the drug manufacturer for people who qualify. These companies work with the patient’sdoctors. The internet address for these companies are and For information about The Medicine Program call 1-573-778-1118.
  • PRIVATE FUNDS. There are private sources of funds to help you pay your medical bills. Many disease and disability related, civic, social welfare and religious organizations have funds available for at least emergency or short-term medical needs. For a list of local civic groups, such as the Jaycees, Elks, and Moose Lodges, see the Thursday’s Crossroads section and the Monday’s Business Journal section of the Wilmington News Journal. Sometimes, families ask their local newspapers to feature an article about their family’s situation and ask readers to donate money toward the cost of a particular device or piece of equipment. Most requests will need to be made in writing and you may have to schedule an appointment to speak to the funding source.
  • OTHER SOURCES. References books, such as Financial Aid for the Disabled and their Families, published by Reference Service Press may be available in libraries; in the grants collection at the University of Delaware Library; and through local social service agencies. These books list local and national sources of possible funding. In Delaware, contact the Delaware Community Foundation at 302-571-8004 to purchase a copy of the yearly Directory of Delaware Grantmakers.
Last Updated: Wednesday April 18 2012
site map   |   about this site   |    contact us   |    translate   |