Current Suspected Overdose Deaths in Delaware for 2024: Get Help Now!

Find school water testing results and additional resources

Attention Medicaid Participants: Eligibility Renewals Restarted April 1, 2023 logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of the some of the most frequently asked questions of staff members at the Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health. (DSAMH).  Select a question to get more information on the topic.  If you have a question that isn't answered here, please contact us .

Q:     What services does the Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health provide?

A:     The Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health provides: community mental health treatment, counseling and support services; supported housing services that promote independent living and community integration; mobile crisis intervention services; inpatient psychiatric evaluation, diagnosis and treatment; substance abuse treatment and prevention services; assessment and case management services for clients sentenced by the Drug Court; and problem gambling services.

Q:     Who does the Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health serve?

A:     The Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health provides services, both directly and through contracted providers, to Delaware adults having mental illness, alcoholism, drug addiction, or gambling addiction. (NOTE: individuals under 18 are served by DSCYF - Prevention and Behavioral Health Services)

Q:     How do I contact the Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health?

A:     The Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health's may be contacted via mail, phone or fax or at any of our office locations.

To obtain services, apply through the Eligibility & Enrollment Unit at 302-255-9458.

If it is an EMERGENCY, please dial the crisis hotline at
800-652-2929 (New Castle County and Northern Kent County) or
800-345-6785 (Central/Southern Kent and Sussex Counties)

Q:     Who can help me with a problem I'm having with my DSAMH provider?

A:     First, you might contact the Peer Services specialist who works at your service provider.
If s/he can't help you resolve the problem, you can call the Consumer Issues Resolution hotline at 855-649-7844. You may call anytime, 24/7 and either speak with, or leave a message for, the DSAMH Director of Consumer Affairs.

Q:     Can I request another DSAMH If I do not like the DSAMH provider to whom I have been assigned for services?

A:     Yes! Contact the Eligibility & Enrollment Unit (EEU) for assistance at 302-255-9458.

Q:     Can I still live where I am even if my provider changed and they run the housing?

A:    Yes. You will not be asked to move. Beginning in July, 2013, your housing will be administered by an independent property management company unrelated to your provider.

Q:     If I have aides coming into my apartment, will they stay or will they be leaving?

A:     You will continue to receive assistance from aides at your residence as long as you require it; the individuals providing these services may or may not change over time. Beginning in July, 2013, the supportive services you receive will be provided by a separate provider independent of your treatment services provider. The individuals may be the same ones who have always supported you, but they will be employed by the new support service provider, not by your treatment provider.

Q:     Who will take me shopping? To my doctor appointments?

A:     You will continue to receive support services and transportation you have been receiving, but through your new provider.

Q:     How will I get my medications?

A:    Your new provider will work with you to assure you receive your medications.

Q:     Why do I have to change providers?

A:    DSAMH was required to issue new mental health and substance abuse service provider contracts to comply with the Settlement Agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice.