FLOODS AND MOSQUITOES
- The large amount of pooled water remaining after the flood will lead to an increase
in mosquito populations. Mosquitoes are most active at sunrise and sunset.
- The majority of these mosquitoes will be pests, not carriers of communicable
diseases. However, some mosquitoes do carry diseases, such as West Nile virus, so it is important
to continue protect yourself from mosquito bites.
- To protect yourself from mosquitoes, use screens on dwellings and wear long-sleeved
and long-legged clothing.
- Insect repellents containing DEET are very effective. Be sure to read all instructions
before using DEET. Care must be taken when using DEET on small children.
- To control mosquito populations, drain all standing water left in containers around