Current Suspected Overdose Deaths in Delaware for 2024: Get Help Now!

Find school water testing results and additional resources

Attention Medicaid Participants: Eligibility Renewals Restarted April 1, 2023 logo

Delaware Relative Caregivers' School Authorization Information

In Delaware more and more grandparents, aunts, uncles, and other relatives are raising other relatives' children. While some relative caregivers have legal custody or guardianship of these children, many do not. 

Relatives who raise others' children without legal custody or guardianship often face difficulties in getting the services that they need for these children. In particular, these caregivers frequently have difficulty in registering the children for school.

Focusing on these children, Delaware passed the Relative Caregivers' School Authorization law. Under this law, grandparents and other relatives who are raising another relative's child without having legal custody or guardianship can register that child for public school.

In this section of our website, you can read the text of the Delaware Relative Caregivers' School Authorization law as well as the regulations pertaining to the law. In addition, you can download the Delaware Relative Caregivers' School Authorization Affidavit. (The affidavit is a form that a caregiver needs to fill out to get authorization to register the child for school.)

We hope that this information is helpful to you. If you have questions about the law, regulations, or affidavit, contact the Aging and Disabilities Resource Center at the Division of Services for Aging and Adults with Physical Disabilities.