DHSS Press Release
|Date: November 16, 2015
|Rita Landgraf, Secretary
Jill Fredel, Director of Communications
302-255-9047, Cell 302-357-7498
DELAWARE HOSPITAL FOR THE CHRONICALLY ILL AND GOVERNOR BACON HEALTH CENTER SEEK COMMUNITY DONATIONS IN 'ADOPTING' RESIDENTS FOR THE HOLIDAYS
NEW CASTLE (Nov. 16, 2015) - The Delaware Hospital for the Chronically Ill (DHCI) in Smyrna and the Governor Bacon Health Center (GBHC) in Delaware City are seeking support from the community in "adopting" residents for the holidays who have little family involvement or support.
DHCI and Governor Bacon rely on the generosity of community members, including neighbors, local businesses, community organizations, and volunteers to help fulfill resident wishes during the holidays. In keeping with the spirit of holiday giving, the nursing facilities ask members of the community to sponsor a resident at either Delaware Hospital for the Chronically Ill or Governor Bacon.
"We are grateful for the community support we receive each year on behalf of our residents at the Delaware Hospital for the Chronically Ill and Governor Bacon Health Center," Department of Health and Social Services Secretary Rita Landgraf said. "During the holiday season, the community's generosity truly has a positive impact on the lives of our residents. It's amazing to see what a difference that giving spirit makes."
Jennifer Bobel, volunteer services coordinator for the DHSS' Division of Services for Aging and Adults with Physical Disabilities, said there are a variety of ways for people to donate:
- Adopt-A-Resident: Donors will be provided with an identification code and a resident's wish list. It is recommended that donors spend no more than $25 per resident. The sponsor will buy the items and deliver the gift or gifts, unwrapped in a gift bag, to:
- Volunteer Services Office or Switchboard Operator at: Delaware Hospital for the Chronically Ill, 100 Sunnyside Road in Smyrna, DE 19977 or Governor Bacon Health Center, 248 Kent Ave., Delaware City, DE 19706.
- Monetary donation: Community members can make a donation by gift card or check and leave the shopping to nursing home staff. Monetary donations may be mailed to Volunteer Services office:
- Delaware Hospital for the Chronically Ill, 100 Sunnyside Road Smyrna, DE 19977. Please make out checks to DHCI. Governor Bacon Health Center, P.O. Box 559 Delaware City, DE 19706. Please make out checks to Governor Bacon Health Center. Please put "Holiday Donation" in the memo. All funds donated will be used to purchase gifts for our residents.
- General donation: Purchase items from a list of suggested gifts that we will be emailed to you or you can pick up in the lobby at each facility. These items are used during the holidays to fill gift bags for residents who have not been adopted. Any remaining items are used throughout the year to fill resident birthday bags and special requests for residents.
To participate, please email Jennifer.Bobel@state.de.us or call 302-223-1011 and let her know how you would like to help. Delaware Hospital for the Chronically Ill and Governor Bacon Health Center each ask that the items be delivered by Monday, Dec. 7, to allow officials time to update lists, do any last-minute shopping, and ensure each resident has a gift bag to open on Christmas. Gifts may be left at the switchboard reception area in either facility seven days a week. Please mark them for Volunteer Services, with the Resident ID number.
Delaware Health and Social Services is committed to improving the quality of the lives of Delaware's citizens by promoting health and well-being, fostering self-sufficiency, and protecting vulnerable populations.