DHSS Press Release
|Date: August 31, 2012
|Rita Landgraf, Secretary
Jill Fredel, Director of Communications
302-255-9047, Pager 302-357-7498
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND SOCIAL SERVICES ANNOUNCES PUBLIC HEARING SCHEDULE FOR REVIEW OF AGENCY REGULATIONS
DOVER (Aug. 31, 2012) - The Delaware Department of Health and Social Services today announced that it will hold public hearings next month in all three counties as part of Gov. Jack Markell's effort to improve Delaware's regulatory climate and to streamline or eliminate unnecessary regulations.
The Department's public hearings are being conducted in connection with Governor Markell's Executive Order No. 36, a statewide review by all agencies to identify and remove regulatory hurdles. The Department's hearings are scheduled for:
- Monday, Sept. 24 at 6 p.m. at Sussex Central High School, 26026 Patriots Way, Georgetown (for all Department of Health and Social Services regulations except the Division of Public Health)
- Tuesday, Sept. 25 at 6 p.m. at Sussex Central High School, 26026 Patriots Way, Georgetown (Division of Public Health regulations).
- Monday, Oct. 1 at 6 p.m. at University of Delaware Paradee Center, 69 Transportation Circle, Dover (for all Department of Health and Social Services regulations except the Division of Public Health).
- Tuesday, Oct. 2 at 6 p.m. at University of Delaware Paradee Center, 69 Transportation Circle, Dover (Division of Public Health regulations).
- Monday, Oct. 8 at 6 p.m. at James Gilliam Conference Center, 77 Reads Way, New Castle (for all Department of Health and Social Services regulations except the Division of Public Health).
- Tuesday, Oct. 9 at 6 p.m. at James Gilliam Conference Center, 77 Reads Way, New Castle (Division of Public Health regulations).
"We need the public's help in identifying specific DHSS regulations that you believe should be streamlined or eliminated," said Secretary Rita Landgraf. "Governor Markell gave his commitment to eliminating unnecessary regulations by signing Executive Order No. 36. My agency is equally committed to listening to your suggestions about specific regulations that you believe are outdated or need be changed."
Executive Order 36 provides an opportunity for state agencies to review regulations on their books, and streamline or eliminate those that are outdated, inconsistent or no longer serve their intended purpose. After formal comment, the Department will consider the input received and change or remove regulations accordingly. The Governor will submit a report to the General Assembly detailing the regulatory changes in all state agencies in June 2013.
In addition to participating in the public hearings, members of the public are also encouraged to submit comments in writing. Comments may be submitted via an online submission form located here. Comments will be accepted through Dec. 1.
For more information or to comment on DHSS regulations, go to dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/
Delaware Health and Social Services is committed to improving the quality of the lives of Delaware's citizens by promoting health and well-being, fostering self-sufficiency, and protecting vulnerable populations.