WATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
License Classification and Operator Qualifications
6.100 - License Classification
6.101 - One (1) regular water supply operator license class is hereby established:
Base Level Water Supply Operator with all applicable endorsements as stated in Section 5.201.
6.102 - Three (3) specialty class licenses are also established:
- Water Supply Operator-in-Training (OIT)
- Circuit Rider
- Grandfather Clause
6.200 - Operator Qualifications
6.201 - Base Level Water Supply Operator
- High School Diploma or equivalent and one (1) year of acceptable operating experience, or;
- Three (3) years of acceptable operating experience, and;
- Successful completion of the base level written examination;
6.202 - Water Treatment Operator-In-Training (OIT)
An operator who lacks either the education or experience requirements for a base level license may, with the approval of the Secretary, upon recommendation by the Advisory Council, and after successful completion of the base level written examination, receive an interim Operator-in-Training (OIT) license, for a maximum of three (3) years, pending fulfillment of the regular license requirements.
6.203 - Circuit Rider
To be classified as a circuit rider, an operator must be able to meet the following criteria:
- Must be certified for all endorsements required for the water systems for which he/she is in direct-responsible-charge and/or operates.
- Spend a recommended number of three (3) visits each week at each water system that he/she is in direct-responsible-charge.
This number may be adjusted by the Advisory Council based upon a yearly review.
The number of visits spent each week at each water system must be documented on forms, provided by the Division, and submitted upon request.
- The distances between each water system shall be such that, in the event of an emergency, the circuit rider will be able to reach the water system within two (2) hours of first being notified of the emergency.
6.204 - Grandfather Clause
A valid, base level license and any applicable endorsements shall be issued by the Secretary, upon recommendation by the Advisory Council, to the individual(s) certified by the governing body or owner of a public water system to have been in responsible charge and/or operated a water facility on the effective date of this regulation, under the following criteria:
The individual(s) can provide documentation to the Advisory Council attesting to the fact they have been in a position of Direct-Responsible-Charge and/or operated a water facility for at least five (5) years prior to the adoption date of these Regulations, and
Any application for a license pursuant to this section must be submitted on or before July 1, 2001.