Diabetes and Heart Disease
Prevention and Control Program
The Delaware Diabetes and Heart Disease Prevention and Control Program (DHDPCP) goal is to decrease the state’s emotional, physical, and financial burden from diabetes and heart disease by preventing the diseases and reducing their complications. Our program supports community clinical linkages, health systems interventions, environmental approaches, and epidemiology and surveillance.
The program is funded by a cooperative agreement with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), with additional support from the Delaware Health Fund. The program collects and publicizes current, accurate information about diabetes and heart disease, develops approaches for reducing the impact of the diseases, promotes healthy lifestyle habits for prevention and control, and coordinates efforts of public and private health organizations.
About Delaware’s Diabetes and Heart Disease Programs:
- What we do: program activities
- Blood Screenings in Delaware communities
- Diabetes Self-Management Education Program
- Chronic Disease Self-Management Education Program New!
- Emergency Medical Diabetes Fund
- Report on The Burden of Diabetes in Delaware 2009
- Diabetes Program provides books and materials in Delaware libraries
- Burden of Diabetes in Delaware report: 2002
- A Plan To Prevent and Control Diabetes in Delaware: 2002
- Delaware Tobacco Prevention and Control Program
- Delaware data on diabetes from the Behavioral Risk Factor Survey
Resources for Health Professionals
- Information for school nurses about diabetes-related emergencies [PDF]
- Link: Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed: A Guide for School Personnel, from the National Diabetes Education Program at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Learn More About Diabetes From These Web Resources
- Delaware Diabetes Coalition
- American Diabetes Association
- Information about YMCA Program to reduce risks of diabetes for people with pre-diabetes
- National Diabetes Education Program
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) – diabetes information
- National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse
- Delaware Coalition for Healthy Eating and Active Living (DE HEAL)
- American Heart Association
- Million Hearts Campaign
- CDC – information about heart disease
Please note: Some of the files available on this page are in Adobe PDF format which requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. A free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader can be downloaded directly from Adobe . If you are using an assistive technology unable to read Adobe PDF, please either view the corresponding text only version (if available) or visit Adobe's Accessibility Tools page.