Welcome to the Office of Health Facilities Licensing and Certification (OHFLC). Our mission is to improve the quality of
healthcare through regulatory oversight of acute care and outpatient healthcare facilities and agencies throughout Delaware.
The CARE Act
The CARE Act was signed into law on August 3, 2016, and became effective January 1, 2017.
The CARE Act requires hospitals to:
- Provide the patient/patient's agent at least one opportunity to designate at least one lay caregiver following the admission into a hospital and before discharge to a residence.
- Record the designation of a lay caregiver and contact information.
- With the consent of the patient/patient's agent, provide the lay caregiver with the patient's discharge plan.
- As soon as practical, attempt to train the lay caregiver in aftercare tasks contained in the discharge plan, to prepare the lay caregiver to provide aftercare.
- Record training or attempts to train the lay caregiver.
- Notify the designated lay caregiver of the patient's discharge to a residence as soon as possible.
If you have a complaint related to the CARE Act call 302-292-3930.
The Department of Health and Social Services would like to thank all of the hospitals that have expeditiously developed and implemented policies and procedures to comply with the requirements set forth in the CARE Act.
OHFLC Program Areas
State Licensed Agencies/Facilities
Additionally, Federal certification, by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, requires that our office provide
regulatory oversight of service providers in:
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- Comprehensive Outpatient Rehabilitation Facilities
- End Stage Renal Disease Facilities
- Home Health Agencies - Skilled
- Outpatient Physical Therapy/Speech Therapy
- Portable X-ray Suppliers
Registered and Accredited Office-Based Surgery Facilities
Change of Information Form
Applications & Surveys for Facilities/Agencies*
*Currently Licensed in the State of Delaware
- Adult Day Care
- Dialysis Centers
- Free Standing Birthing Center
- Free Standing Emergency Center
- Free Standing Surgery Centers
- Home Health Agency
- Office-Based Surgery
- Personal Assistance Services Agency
- Prescribed Pediatric Extended Care Center
- Prior to beginning any planning for an acute care or outpatient healthcare agency/facility (see list above), contact the
Office of Health Facilities Licensing and Certification (OHFLC) for specific instructions.
- Plan Reviews
Every health care agency or facility in Delaware is responsible for providing quality care in a safe setting. Before filing a
complaint with the Office of Health Facilities Licensing and Certification (OHFLC), you should understand that the first course
of action is to discuss your concerns or issues with the agency/facility administration. If the agency/facility is unable
to resolve the matter, then you should feel free to contact the OHFLC for further assistance.
Office of Health Facilities Licensing and Certification
261 Chapman Road, Suite 200
Newark, DE 19702
Toll-free hotline: 1-800-942-7373
The toll-free number is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. During off-hours and non-business days, callers should leave a
message on the answering machine; messages are retrieved the next business day.
When leaving a message, the caller should speak clearly and include the following information:
- Their name and telephone number including area code
- The name of the agency/facility
- The nature of the complaint
Delaware Health Care Commission