Chronic Renal Disease Program


The Chronic Renal Disease Program (CRDP) is administered by the Division of Social Services (DSS). It was established to assist residents of Delaware, diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). This program is 100% state funded. All third party resources (Medicare, Medicaid, VA, Private Insurance, etc.) must be used before CRDP funds are used.


The applicant must meet certain medical and financial criteria in order to be eligible for funding from the CRDP. Medically, the individual must be diagnosed with ESRD, receive dialysis or have had a renal transplant. Financially, the individual must have income and liquid assets below 300% of the Federal Poverty Level. The amount of assistance received from the Chronic Renal Disease Program is dependent upon the applicant's financial situation. The number of household dependents and the cost of certain medications may be considered when determining eligibility.

Services Covered:

Medications may be covered. This may include payment for prescription and/or over-the-counter medications. The amount of funding will be based upon individual income, assets, expenses, and need.

Nutritional supplements may be covered. The supplement must be ordered and certified as necessary by the physician or certified nurse practitioner. Certification must be done upon initial referral and at least every six months. Lab values and other information related to the individuals nutritional status are used to determine initial and ongoing eligibility.

Transportation may be covered. This includes reimbursement of transportation to and from a dialysis unit or transplant hospital. Funding may include mileage reimbursement, DART tickets, or transportation provided by Gerneration Home Care.

Services Not Covered:

The CRDP will not pay for insurance premiums, hospitalizations, physician or ancillary services, medical supplies, dialysis treatments or any medication funded by another source, such as a social service agency or private insurance.

How To Contact Us:

Our office is located in the Milford State Service Center. You may call, mail, or fax in a referral.