Skip to Page Content  |  Text Only Governor | General Assembly | Courts | Elected Officials | State Agencies
  Photo: Featured Delaware Photo
  Phone Numbers   Mobile   Help   Size   Print   Email

Child Care Services

This service provides support for families with young children to enable the caretaker to hold a job, obtain training or meet special needs of the child. Child care may also be provided in child abuse cases to help protect the child.

If you are working, you may have to pay a portion of your child care expenses. You may get a list of Child Care Centers and homes in your area from your DSS Case Manager. You will also be able to get more information on the program rules and fees.

You may choose your child care provider from:

  • A State licensed Child Care Center
  • A State licensed Child Care family home
  • A license-exempt provider (such as a preschool, a school age program, relative or other person) if you obtain a Child Care Certification Provider Agreement from your DSS Case Manager. The provider must fill out this form and the provider must agree to accept the current state payment rate.

Child Care Locator Service

Please select this link to help you find the child care provider of your choice that is near your work, home, school or any other convenient location.

Need help choosing child care? Click this link for an interactive check list on how to find quality child care? Go to Child Care Aware.


The service is available for children from infancy through twelve years of age. DSS determines eligibility based on the need for service and income. The income limit is currently set at 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL). See the 200% FPL chart.   If your child is older than 12 and has a special need, you still may be eligible to receive child care.

You can find our Child Care and Development Fund Plan for federal fiscal year 2010 – 2011 on our Publications and Forms page

Assistance for Relatives

The Delaware Kinship Navigator Program assists grandparents or other persons aged 55 or over who are raising another person's children.  Please select this link for more information.

Last Updated: Tuesday September 06 2011
site map   |   about this site   |    contact us   |    translate   |