UPDATE ON INFLUENZA IN DELAWARE AND SUPPLY OF INFLUENZA VACCINE
The Delaware Division of Public Health (DPH) is transmitting a Health Update regarding the availability of influenza vaccine for the
The following information about influenza in Delaware is current as of October 5, 2004:
- No cases of confirmed influenza have been reported to DPH this influenza season.
- Hospitals report weekly the occurrence of influenza like illness (ILI) to DPH. There have been no reports of ILI to DPH this season.
ILI is defined as elevated temperate (>100 degrees F) and upper respiratory symptoms (e.g. cough or sore throat).
- DPH also maintains a syndromic surveillance system in which hospitals report the number of emergency room patients treated for
general respiratory systems, including ILI. Reports collected by this surveillance system show that there is no current influenza
activity in Delaware.
- DPH has approximately 3400 does of influenza vaccine. All of these doses are designated for children eligible for the Vaccine for
Delaware’s Division of Public Health is working with vaccine manufacturers, the Centers for Disease Control, the Medical Society of
Delaware and others to assess the status of the current flu vaccine supply in Delaware. While some flu vaccine supplies have already been
distributed to doctors, clinics, health departments and other providers, a large proportion of available vaccine has not yet been shipped
by the manufacturer.
Good respiratory hygiene should be encouraged, including cleaning of hands and staying at home when symptomatic with fever and
Antiviral medications with specific activity against influenza A viruses should be considered either for treatment or chemoprophylaxis
for influenza A, especially in persons at high risk for complications from influenza.
Categories of Health Alert messages:
- Health Alert: Conveys the highest level of importance; warrants immediate action or attention.
- Health Advisory: Provides important information for a specific incident or situation; may not require immediate action.
- Health Update: Provides updated information regarding an incident or situation; unlikely to require immediate action.
NOTE: This page is for informational purposes only and dated material (e.g. temporary websites) may not be available.