DHSS Press Release
|Date: January 30, 2013
|Rita Landgraf, Secretary
Jill Fredel, Director of Communications
302-255-9047, Pager 302-357-7498
VACCINATIONS AVAILABLE AS FLU REMAINS WIDESPREAD
Influenza activity in Delaware remains elevated and widespread. As of Jan. 19, Delaware's Division of Public Health has confirmed 868 flu total cases statewide for this flu season. During the week of Jan. 13-19, there were 20 influenza-related hospitalizations reported in Delaware and no influenza-related deaths as of Jan. 19.
DPH recently issued a declaration allowing the use of mercury-containing vaccine for pregnant women and children younger than 8 years of age for the 2012-2013 influenza vaccine. According to the FDA, thimerosal has been the subject of several studies and has a long record of safe and effective use preventing bacterial and fungal contamination of vaccines, with no ill effects established other than minor local reactions at the site of injection. The declaration will remain in effect until September 30, 2013.
For further information on thimerosal, visit: dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dph/files/thimerosalfaq.pdf
Residents who are not yet vaccinated are also encouraged to contact their health care provider about getting vaccinated. Anyone age 6 months and older can get vaccinated for the flu. It is particularly important that anyone who works or lives with young children, persons with underlying medical conditions, or seniors, get vaccinated. Vaccinations are offered through physician offices, and many pharmacies and grocery stores. DPH is also expanding vaccination opportunities at public health clinics. If you need information on the flu or where to get vaccinated visit www.flu.delaware.govor call 800-282-8672.
Vaccinations are available from DPH by appointment as follows:
- Hudson State Service Center, age 6 months and older at 501 Ogletown Road, Newark, 19711. Call for appointment: (302) 283-7587
- Middletown Health Unit, age 9 years and older at 214 North Broad Street, Middletown, 19709. Call for appointment: (302) 378-5200.
- Adams State Service Center, age 6 months and older at 546 S. Bedford Street Georgetown, 19947. Call for appointment: 302-856-5213.
- Williams State Service Center, age 6 months and older, at 805 River Road Dover, 19901. Call for appointment: 302-857-5130.
- Milford Riverwalk, age 3 years and above at 253 NE Front Street Riverwalk Shopping Center, Milford, 19963. Call for appointment: 302-424-7130.
- Porter State Service Center, age 6 months and older at 511 W. 8th Street, Wilmington, DE 19801. Call for appointment: at 302-777-2860.
- Pyle State Service Center, age 6 months and older at 34314 Pyle Center Road, Frankford, 19945. Call for appointment: 302-732-9512.
If you need additional information on the flu or where to get vaccinated visit www.flu.delaware.govor call 800-282-8672.
Delaware Health and Social Services is committed to improving the quality of the lives of Delaware's citizens by promoting health and well-being, fostering self-sufficiency, and protecting vulnerable populations.