Rita Landgraf, Secretary
Jill Fredel, Director of Communications
302-255-9047, Pager 302-357-7498
Date: October 15, 2013
MEDIA ADVISORY: PUBLIC HEALTH OFFERS FREE FLU VACCINE
The Delaware Division of Public Health will prepare for the 2013-2014 flu season by offering free influenza vaccines to the
public in Sussex County. The flu clinic is being run as a timed drill so DPH staff can practice their readiness in the event of
a large-scale health emergency.
Dr. Karyl Rattay, Director, Delaware Division of Public Health (attending)
October 24, 2013 flu clinic runs 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Media and dignitary tours offered at 1:00 p.m.
Georgetown Presbyterian Church
203 N. Bedford St.
Georgetown, DE 19947
- This event is the Sussex County part of DPH's 'Get It' outreach campaign, developed to promote the importance of annual
- Public Health nurses will administer flu vaccine to Delawareans age 6 months and above. They will offer the intramuscular
flu vaccine for ages 6 months and above, and the nasal FluMist for ages 9 years to 49 years. Clients who sign a media consent
form may be photographed.
- For the emergency preparedness element, staff will test their flexibility of being completely mobile. Staff will be
evaluated for quality assurance and safety, ease of administering the vaccine, handling crowds in an orderly manner, and
processing paperwork. Staff will follow incident command and wear identification vests.
- Media tours at 1:00 p.m. will show the supplies (including chilled vaccine), a registration desk, a line for individuals
with special needs, a waiting area, and where the vaccine is administered.
UPSTATE NEW CASTLE COUNTY FLU CLINIC:
- A second flu immunization opportunity will occur on Oct. 18, 2013 at the New Castle Farmers Market in New Castle, DE from
10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Five hundred people were vaccinated with the flu vaccine there on Oct. 11.
Delaware Health and Social Services is committed to improving the quality of the lives of Delaware's citizens by promoting health
and well-being, fostering self-sufficiency, and protecting vulnerable populations.