Rita Landgraf, Secretary
Jill Fredel, Director of Communications
302-255-9047, Pager 302-357-7498
Date: September 26, 2012
MEDIA ADVISORY - 3 of 3
The Delaware Division of Public Health will prepare for the 2012-2013 flu season by offering free influenza vaccines to the
public. The flu clinic is being run as a timed drill so DPH staff can practice their readiness in the event of a large scale
Dr. Karyl Rattay, Director, Delaware Division of Public Health Southern Health Services Section and Emergency Services and
September 27, 2012 Flu clinic runs 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
Media tours offered at 9:00 a.m.
Del DOT Training Center, Dover Campus
800 Bay Road (Sign Shop Road)
Dover, DE 19901
- This event is part of DPH's 'Get It' outreach campaign, developed to promote the importance of annual flu vaccination.
- Public Health nurses will administer flu vaccine to Delawareans age 9 and above. They will offer the intramuscular flu vaccine
for ages 9 years and above, and the nasal FluMist for ages 9 years to 49 years. Clients who sign a media consent form may be
- For the emergency preparedness element, staff will test their flexibility of being completely mobile. Staff will be evaluated
for quality assurance and safety, ease of administering the vaccine, handling crowds in an orderly manner, and processing
paperwork. Staff will follow incident command and wear identification vests.
- Media tours will show the supplies (including chilled vaccine), a registration desk, a line for individuals with special needs,
a waiting area, and where the vaccine is administered.
- On October 5, 2012 from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., the Farmer's Market in New Castle will host a flu clinic/POD Exercise to launch
the New Castle County flu vaccination efforts. At 3 p.m., DPH will announce the recipients of their statewide immunization awards.
Delaware Health and Social Services is committed to improving the quality of the lives of Delaware's citizens by promoting health
and well-being, fostering self-sufficiency, and protecting vulnerable populations.