The Division for the Visually Impaired (DVI) actively works toward promoting dignity, independence, and integration into the mainstream of society for all visually impaired Delawareans. Volunteers play an important role in helping us achieve this goal. DVI volunteers contribute their time and talents in the following ways:
Office Assistant / Library AideThese Volunteers assist the DVI Instructional Materials and Resource Center team in the following ways to help provide Accessible Educational Materials (AEM) to our blind and visually impaired K12 clients:
- Duplicating copies of braille
- Scanning hardcopy to digital formats
- Binding books
- Enlarging textbook print
- Label and catalogue books and equipment
Computer Lab MonitorThese Volunteers assist the DVI clients who visit our Computer Labs in the following ways:
- Assisting the client (if the need is present) with logging onto a computer and starting a specific application
- Logging the names and times of the visitors to the Computer Lab.
- Escorting a visitor to and from the Computer Lab
- Noting and reporting any problems or difficulties that a visitor may have experienced
- Serve as a liaison to the Trainer/Educators or the staff who oversee the Computer Labs
Opportunities for volunteers are constantly changing and growing at the Division for the Visually Impaired. Your skills and talents are important to us and we hope that we might provide you with a satisfying experience.
If you are interested in an opportunity not listed here or would like further clarification about the opportunities noted above, please contact the Division for the Visually Impaired's Volunteer Services program at (302)577-2083.