Who witnesses the signing of an advance directive?
Two people must witness the signing of your advance directive form. A witness cannot be anyone who:
- Is related to you by blood, marriage, or adoption
- Is entitled to any portion of your estate
- Has a claim against any portion of your estate
- Has a direct financial responsibility for your medical care
- Has a controlling interest or is an employee of a residential facility in which you reside
If you are a resident of a long term residential health care facility, one of the witnesses must be designated as a patient advocate or ombudsperson by the Department of Health and Social Services.