CLEANUP AFTER A FLOOD
- Walls, hard-surfaced floors and many other household surfaces should be cleaned with
soap and water and disinfected with a solution of 1 cup of bleach to 9 cups of water, making a 10% solution.
- Be particularly careful to thoroughly disinfect surfaces that may come in contact
with food, such as counter tops, pantry shelves, refrigerators, etc.
- Areas where small children play should also be carefully cleaned.
- Wash all linens and clothing in hot water or dry clean them.
- For items that cannot be washed or dry cleaned, such as mattresses and upholstered
furniture, air dry them in the sun and then spray them thoroughly with a disinfectant. If still contaminated,
- Steam clean all carpeting. Dry thoroughly. If still contaminated, discard.
- If there has been a backflow of sewage into the house, wear rubber boots and waterproof
gloves during cleanup.
- Remove and discard contaminated household materials that cannot be disinfected, such
as wallcoverings, cloth, rugs and drywall.
Monday January 05 2015