FLOODS AND WATER QUALITY
Listen for public announcements on the safety of the municipal water supply. Flooded, private water wells will need to be tested and disinfected after flood waters recede.
Water for Drinking and Cooking
Safe drinking water includes bottled, boiled or treated water. Here are some general rules concerning water for drinking and cooking:
- Do not use contaminated water to wash dishes, brush your teeth, wash and prepare food or make ice.
- If you use bottled water, know where it came from. Otherwise, water should be boiled before use. Drink only bottled or boiled water until your supply is tested and found safe.
- Boiling water kills harmful bacteria and parasites. Bringing water to a rolling boil for 1 minute will kill most organisms.
- Containers for water should be rinsed with the bleach solution before reusing them.
- Do not rely on untested devices for decontaminating water.