What dangers are present?
Children may be especially vulnerable to health effects of cleaning products in the home. Both through direct contact like
accidental ingestion and indrect exposure through playing on a newly cleaned surface. Parents should take extra time to ensure that
the cleaning products used in the home do not include ingredients that pose a particularly high risk to their children. And also
ensure that the products are used and stored correctly.
What you can do...
- Be a diligent label reader. Know what is in the products you use in the home.
- When using any cleaning product, be sure to read and follow all of the manufacturer's instructions and recommendations.
- Store cleaning products out of the reach of children. Remember, containers may be child-resistant, but nothing is child-proof.
- Never store cleaning products in container resembling food or beverage containers.
- Educate yourself through the links on this page to help minimize the risk in your home.
Tips to Prevent
Clean and Safe
in the 21st Century
Back to Children in Healthy Homes
Please note: Some of the files available on this page are in Adobe PDF format which requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. A free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader can be downloaded directly from Adobe . If you are using an assistive technology unable to read Adobe PDF, please either view the corresponding text only version (if available) or visit Adobe's Accessibility Tools page.