What are Delaware School-Based Health Centers (SBHCs)?
- In Delaware SBHCs are operated by a multi-disciplinary team of health professionals who use a holistic approach to address a broad range of health and health-related needs of students.
- SBHCs may be funded by state, federal and/or third-party billing funds; through a community partnership; through grant sources; but also require the support of the school with in-kind or actual dollars.
- All service components are reviewed by the local school board or governing entity based on the needs of the student population as identified through a needs assessment or a statement of need based on school data analyzed specifically for the center.
- Through primary prevention and early intervention Delaware SBHCs provide services to various student populations.
- SBHCs are not a substitute for the student’s personal physician and/or medical home but rather, act as a source for referral to outside medical care and as points of contact for supportive, comprehensive health services.
- All school-based health centers must receive school board/governing entity approval prior to making application with the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services, Division of Public Health for approval to become a Recognized State SBHC and before implementing such services.
- With school board/governing entity approval the following services may be provided in addition to Item #4 and in accordance with item #6 where applicable:
- diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases
- limited reproductive health services
- HIV testing and counseling
- All school-based health centers must receive written parental permission prior to providing medical, mental and nutritional health services to students.
- School records and center records are kept separately to insure confidentiality.
For more information concerning all SBHCs contact the Division of Public Health School-Based Health Center Central Office .
- Locations and contact information of the 29 State Recognized School-Based Health Centers contracted by the Division of Public Health
- Contact information for the DPH Contracted, State Recognized School-Based Health Centers Medical Sponsors
- Locations and contact information of the State Recognized School-Based Health Centers NOT contracted by the Division of Public Health
- Contact information of the State Recognized School-Based Health Centers NOT contracted by the Division of Public Health
- House Bill 303 which added SBHC to Title 18
- School-Based Health Center Regulations
- Application to Become a State Recognized School-Based Health Center
Please note: Both documents are required to be submitted together.
Submittal information is found on page 3 of Attachment A.
Please note: Some of the files available on this page are in Adobe PDF format which requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. A free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader can be downloaded directly from Adobe . If you are using an assistive technology unable to read Adobe PDF, please either view the corresponding text only version (if available) or visit Adobe's Accessibility Tools page.